Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Transparency 2: Colored Pencil

For my first sketch on transparency, I chose an easily recognizable object (the lightbulb). However, for my second piece I aimed for a more abstract representation which might not create immediate associations for the viewer; the photo is a closeup of the fin of a glass dolphin. In this sketch, I made the details and minor shading the main focus, which is shown in the complexity of patterns throughout the dolphin's body. The first notable aspect of this sketch was the wide range of shades of blue used. I found that this made it have much more vibrancy, and eliminated any dullness. Also, I rarely use black with oil paints or pastels because of its tendency to attract too much focus to its emptiness, but in the case of colored pencils, it settled nicely surrounded by the deep blues. Throughout this sketch I wanted fairly rounded shapes, and avoided angular line intersections to create more fluidity. The white glaze on the inside of the torse was created by using white colored pencil extensively as the first layer. An element which I personally enjoyed installing to create variation in color was the purple region on the dolphin's side, which I exaggerated from the photo. One challenging problem with colored pencils is that they must be used with heavy coloring, or a patchiness appears. I tried to avoid this to give the sketch a glossy, pristine, cool atmosphere to it. This is one of my few abstract works, and I was pleased to see that even without the surrounding context of the picture, the transparency of the object was still evident.

No comments:

Post a Comment