Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mini Series (1)

This is the first of my three-work Mini Series about transparency, an element which I felt complimented my style in past sketches. The one immediately noticeable change which this composition contains is a warm color palette. I normally gravitate towards cool colors, as shown by the sketch of the dolphin, but this picture seemed to need a more exciting and perhaps jarring sense of color. Two salt shakers were set up on red paper with a yellow backdrop to be photographed. What I loved about the photo was that it allowed areas of color to spill into one another, such as in the container's inner volume, and the surrounding paper. The red seemed to me to be a good way of tying to tie the whole piece together through its widespread inclusion on the caps, rims, and surfaces. Another aspect of my final product which I found interesting was the white glow formed at various sections on the containers. While done in oil pastel, this piece was not nearly as challenging as I had expected it to be in terms of specificity of the transparency. This was partially due to my overall strategy: to show light as being blocks and shapes. Though one could say this is more simplistic in nature, I think it effectively gives the suggestion without being impossibly complex. On aspect that I would try to improve would be layering the orange and yellow segments such that they have dimension, rather than being add-ons on the rim and lid. This first work will aid me in my use of color foundation and layering for the next piece in the Mini Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment