Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mini Series (2)

For my second piece in the Mini Series, I decided to continue working with oil pastel, but this time I would use a miniature wine glass as the subject. The glass provided many interesting dynamics ranging from the two challenging elipses it formed at the given angle, to the distortion of color that occurred just above the stem. Staying in theme with my last work, I decided to use a warm, rich orange for the backdrop, but in order to create an intense contrast, chose its complimentary color of blue for the floor. This contrast occurs in various sections such as the clear line in the background, the curved distortion within the glass, and a more subtle one at the glass's base. It was also important for me to represent a variety of shades: the transition from yellow orange to orange, and from turquoise to sky blue. What I am most pleased about for this piece was the base of the glass, which I believe contains a more or less realistic orange glow with circular blue and white light around it. Also, I was satisfied with the subtlety with which the base's rim's circular shadow appears, a product of a grey overlay. The details within the glass were greatly simplified in an attempt to avoid small and irrelevant lines which would not be apparent with such an imprecise medium. On thing which I would change however, would be to portray the symmetry of the distortion a bit more accurately. In its current state, the glass as a fairly asymmetrical system of shapes and effects, as opposed to the picture. Also, I would strengthen the top rim, and have it be less faded. Otherwise, I believe that so far this image best represents transparency of the ones that I have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment