Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mini Series (3)

For my third and final work in this Mini Series, I revisited the salt shakers, this time using pencil rather than pastel. One of the major benefits of working with this medium is how easily it can be controlled. I found that areas of glare and bright light were significantly easier to show using pencil, especially on areas such as the rims where white spots appear. Also, by using variation in pencil strokes and their direction, I could more easily define the outline of the objects without using dark borders. One thing that I enjoyed about this piece was that by being constructed using values of black and grey, I focused more on the actual distorted shapes, instead of elaborate color constructions which in some cases distract from the purpose of the composition: transparency. On the other hand, were I to do this over again I would try to make the shading in the foreground more graduated; as it is there are patches of dark and light, rather than soft glow. Also, I would have given the salt shakers more dimension using bends in the glass near the inversion of the side's slope. Surprisingly, I believe that this pencil sketch was a more accurate representation of transparency than the oil pastel. This piece concludes my Mini Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment