Sunday, January 6, 2013

Green on Green Painting

For this painting, we were instructed to take a picture of a green object on green paper, or some variation of this arrangement. My addition was the yellow sheet, which I chose because of its close relation to the other colors used. In the painting based on the photo, I tried to evaluate the different shades of green by using a photo with a great variety, ranging from a bright lime to a rich forest green. In front of the cup, I highlighted this brightness, and transitioned into a darker color behind the cup. One challenge I found doing this painting was the accurately portraying the elipse formed by the rim. The perfect ovular shape was difficult to capture, therefore at points there are indentations such as on the right side. On the other hand, I am very happy with how the inside walls and bottom of the cup turned out. I picked a yellow-brown color throughout the walls, adding green and yellow highlights in various parts. The transition from brown to orange and finally to yellow was done over a few days, and I learned the unanticipated lesson of fixing uneven surfaces created when thick paint layers dry. Next, to avoid showing the shadow of the cup as a dark mass, but rather one that revealed the colors beneath it, I did the base colors, then painted the individual sections of the shadow. Finally on the face of the cup, I tried to show the brown, green, and yellow lighting created.

No comments:

Post a Comment