Sunday, January 6, 2013

Edward Hopper Inspired Painting

After researching Edward Hopper and finding a lighthouse painting which particularly interested me, I went around my school's campus looking for some sort of architecture of similar nature that would be interesting to paint. On the Middle School, I found a very dramatic building face which, with the dark shadows and sun's glare, had an almost menacing quality to it. However, for aesthetic appeal, I enhanced the photos colors. From the beginning the sketch, I knew I wanted exact dimensions, therefore most lines were drawn or painted with rulers and tape. My first challenge for this painting was finding an appropriate shadow color to use throughout the piece. Thinking back to Hopper's use of dark-blue/gray on the lighthouse face, I mixed various colors until I came up with one that was neutral and versatile in that it was not overbearingly dark, but not noticeably bright. Admittedly in some regions it is more purple than others, but I left it as it was because of the additional dynamic it created. Next, I painted the large face with yellow, white, and the glare. I was worried that the gold haze surrounding the edges was too complicated and unnecessary, so I just focused on the color transition. Also, I chose a more vibrant green color for the sky and different sections. The final component was adding less-noticeable lines where rectangular shapes met, which I showed using a faint blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment